Saturday, February 22, 2014

Testimony and short charge notes

from many years ago, a bit of my testimony and a charge...notes, hope it will be a blessing to someone someday Ps 66:18 Come and hear all ye that fear God and I will declare what he hath done for my soul 2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. • I rejoice that I was brought up in a Christian home • Born and raised in ind, fundamental, KJV believing Baptist church • Saved as a boy on April 29, 1982 • Won my first soul to Christ when I was about 10 years old • Taught to love and respect pastors and missionaries • Even in my youth I understood that there truly is no more important work in life than reaching souls for Christ and in my early teens I had vowed to God that I would go if He ever were to call me In my later teens I faltered in many areas because I allowed many outside influences to take up residence in my heart and life • I became interested in athletics as my older brother led his high school and then junior college to championships in basketball • I fell victim to peer pressure and allowed worldly classmates and friends to influence me toward more distractions that I should not have been a part of • Before long I was fooled into thinking that the American dream should be my dream and I allowed education, athletics, career and family (none of which are inherently sinful) to dominate my priorities over seeking God’s will for my life • I was able to attain to that American dream and before I knew it I had o A good corporate job o A house, 2 cars, a pool and my wife home with our children o BUT I HAD REACHED THE PEAK OF THE WRONG MOUNTAIN By this time God’s will was a complete afterthought and God’s word was collecting dust on the shelf Now I relied on My wisdom, my strength in dealing with temptation and adversity and my desires This was a slow process that Satan will cunningly, subtly, and patiently take any man down that will allow their standards to drop and their spiritual exercises to wane… Can I exhort you today on a few things: 1) YOU CANNOT MAKE IT IN YOUR CHRISTIAN WALK IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE BIBLE EVERY DAY a. I relied on my wisdom and perhaps a pride in thinking that I had a good grasp on the Bible and could handle myself b. 1Co 8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. c. This book will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from this book 2) You CANNOT MAKE IT IN THE CHRISTIAN WALK WITH ONE FOOT IN THE WORLD a. Satan is a master observer, he knows your weaknesses and he will exploit them – if you allow him an inch – he will take a mile as the saying goes b. We need to replace our worldly friends and influences with godly ones that will hold us accountable and encourage us to follow Christ c. (Heb 3:13) But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 3) You CANNOT MAKE IT IN THE CHRISTIAN WALK IF YOU TRY TO FIT GOD INTO YOUR PLANS – WE MUST DIE TO SELF THAT WE MIGHT BE FITTED INTO HIS PLAN a. Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. Isa 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. b. I BELIEVE FIRMLY THAT THIS IS WHY THERE IS SUCH A TREMENDOUS DESPERATION FOR THE WORK OF MISSIONS ON THIS EARTH – BECAUSE TOO MANY OF US HAVE NOT SOUGHT GOD’S DIRECTION BUT HAVE PURSUED OUR OWN DIRECTION AND THEN ASKED GOD TO BLESS IT - TOO MANY HAVE MISSED OR REFUSED TO SURRENDER TO THE CALL OF GOD ON THEIR LIVES. LASTLY, IT IS NOT TOO LATE FOR GOD TO USE ANYONE – IT TOOK 20 YEARS FROM THE DATE I GOT SAVED TO WHEN I FINALLY SURRENDERED TO THE WILL OF GOD FOR MY LIFE BUT LET ME ENCOURAGE YOU TONIGHT THAT IF YOU ARE HERE RIGHT NOWHAVING RESISTED GOD’S WILL – GOD HAS BEEN MERCIFUL TO YOU – ALLOW THE GOODNESS OF GOD TO LEAD YOU TO REPENTANCE AND SUBMISSION TO HIM BEFORE I FINALLY SURRENDERED TO GOD I SAW • OUR FAMILY EXPERIENCE 2 MISCARRIAGES AND NEARLY LOST MY WIFE AND OLDEST DAUGHTER IN CHILDBIRTH • MY MOTHER IN LAW WAS KILLED IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND THEN ONE YEAR LATER ALMOST TO THE DAY I WAS IN A WRECK THAT COMPLETELY TOTALED MY CAR BUT I WALKED AWAY WITH ONLY MINOR INJURIES… If there is anyone in here today that has resisted surrendering to God’s perfect will for your life – please take care of that today – There is no greater place to be in all the world than in the center of God’s will

No comments: